For months, we have heard the murmur about this new trend for girls to get back their curls: The Curly Girl Method. Read on to lean how to let your curls live their best life!
For years we have focused on how to remove curl, smooth, flatten, pull out and suppress our curls, that is until very recently, when curls started to fight back, and thus was born the ‘Curly Girl Method’. Also known as the “no poo” (no shampoo) method, we have even seen entire product companies launched specifically designed for these methods.
What we know:
There are multiple steps and a strict system to follow in order to create optimal scalp and hair environment for curls to live their best life.
What You’ll Need:
- Clarifying Shampoo: L’Oreal Pro Serioxyl Claryifing Shampoo for Coloured Hair or L’Oreal Pro Serioxyl Claryifing Shampoo for Natural Hair
- Deep Conditioning Masque: You need a masque that is deeply nourishing and hydrating like the NEW Kérastase Oleo Relax Masque
- Leave-in Hydrating Conditioner: Kérastase Oleo Curl Cream Leave-in
- Curl Cream: Kérastase Aura Botanical Creme de Boucles
- Blow Dryer and Diffuser: Hot Sock Diffuser Sacs work super well! The less you can be touching your hair the better. We love the Elchim range of hair dryers
- Wide Tooth Comb – You really want to avoid brushing, this is essential to the success of your curls.
- Pommeshell Microfibre Hair Towel
Step One – Clarifying Shampoo
Clarifying Shampoo your hair to start the process. This will reset your hair and get rid of build up that can relax natural curls. Using the Kérastase Fusio Scrub once a week will ensure lightweight airy results and a clean and healthy scalp!
Step Two – Co-wash (Condition Your Scalp)
Co-wash (condition) your scalp with a lightweight conditioner. Conditioner is what you will proceed to do in place of shampooing, hence “no poo”. The motion of the fingertips cleansing the scalp with the conditioner will get rid of oils and dirt MECHANICALLY, (be sure to really buff and massage in). Rinse out. This process can take some time for both YOU and your body to get used to. We suggest transitioning with a cleansing conditioner like the Shu Uemura Cleansing Balm and the Kérastase Oleo Curl Cleansing Conditioner. Our cleansing conditioners are 20% shampoo and 80% conditioner, it serves as the “no-poo” while still cleaning your hair- it leaves your hair seriously soft and bouncy!
HOT TIP** This will be the hardest step to adjust to and the cleansing balms will assist in a successful transition
Step Three – Deep Hydrate
Apply a hydrating deep conditioner on the ends. This masque will be what deeply hydrates the curls. Curly hair tends to be dry, and when the curls are dry they will not bounce and curl as desired. Hydration of your curls is essential to success!
*HOT TIP: Do a final cold water shot at the very end of your shower to reduce frizz.
Step Four – Remove Excess Moisture
Using your Microfibre Hair Towel squeeze out excess moisture, but ensure you keep it damp!
Step Five – Wrap & Repeat!
1-2 inch vertical sections, apply your Leave-in Conditioning Spray, Curl Cream, Creme De Boucles to each section by WRAPPING them into each section. Curl the hair around your finger like a coil to ensure product is evenly distributed through the entire hair. Repeat this throughout the entire head. Using your diffuser rotate your dryer in a circular motion around the head distributing the heat evenly.
If you are committed to this method do not give up! Give yourself a minimum of 30 days committed to all 5 steps. You will be pleasantly surprised of the results. The key points to remember are:
- You NEED to follow the steps
- A LOT of product is required in order to be successful with this method, you will not see results if you do not invest into the correct product
- Once you have your scalp trained you should be able to go between 5-7 days between shampoos
- The MOST important thing is to NOT brush your hair during this process!
- Own those curls girls!!